The television industry is highly competitive…but careers in TV are available to the dedicated and prepared individual.
Students who major in Television Production at Howard University, develop the creative vision and skills necessary to successfully navigate the challenges of an industry defined more and more by digital technological advances and corporate mergers.
Our esteemed faculty provides a nurturing learning environment with opportunities for students to create their own productions. Students work on professional productions directed by faculty, outside producers, or producers at WHUT-TV.
Through our Time Warner lecture series and Paul Robeson Awards program, our students attend workshops with highly accomplished industry professionals who also offer unique internship opportunities and professional critiques of student works. As a result, the Television Production graduate from the Department of Radio, Television, and Film has a clear advantage entering this exciting industry as a new professional.
Courses are available in Television Production, TV Directing, Scriptwriting, Non-linear Video Editing and Sound. Additionally, RTVF classes explore the historical, social and cultural contributions of African American and other peoples of color from around the world to the powerful medium known as television.
Television Production students work with state-of-the-art video, audio, and editing technology to create dramatic and documentary features of the highest quality. The Department of Radio, Television and Film maintains a television studio, several digital editing suites, audio production studios and a scriptwriting lab.
Some of our graduates include:
- Nikita Adams, Freelance Producer, Los Angeles
- Janine Sherman Barrios, Executive Producer/writer, ER, Third Watch (NBC)
- Calvin Barry, Videographer, WETA-TV (PBS)
- Dierdre Dix, Independent Hollywood Producer, “Edges of a Dream”
- Arthur Harris, Executive Producer/Writer, All of Us, One on One, Living Single (WB/UPN)
- TaJuan Mercer Hayes, Post Production Editor, Clean House (Style Network)
- Fletcher Johnson, Senior Videographer, ABC News
- Jina Johnson, Host/Producer, Black Entertainment Television (BET)
- Matthew Leeke, Postproduction Editor, WJZ-TV
- Ed Lewis, Senior Videographer & Crew Chief, WTTG-TV, Fox News
- Roy McKay, Engineer, WRC-TV (NBC)
- Anicia Morris, Digital Editor/Producer (Discovery Channel)
- Kenneth Rance, Screenwriter; New in Town (2009); Writers Guild of America
- Jakki Taylor, Coordinating Producer, The View, (ABC)
- Anthony Umrani, Senior Photojournalist, Cable News Network (CNN)
- Niambi Wilder, Special Projects Producer, ICRW Worldwide, Inc.
Career Opportunities | Graduation Scheme | Faculty| Paul Robeson Award| Student Organizations | Student Productions |